[Via Mindanao Football Cup]
Come October 23, 2019, the inaugural Mindanao Cup kicks off at Tionko Football Field in Davao City to serve as the primary vehicle for talent discovery in the region in-line with its other on-going grassroots initiatives.
The tournament, which will adhere to the nine-a-side format, will feature 16 participating teams from various football associations in Mindanao, and will run until October 25.
Organized by the Davao South Regional Football Association (DSRFA) and the Negros Occidental Football Association (NOFA), the Mindanao Cup is a spin-off of the annual NOFA Invitational Cup in Bacolod City, which success since its 2016 launch has resulted for it to be a recurring age-group tournament.
NOFA President Ricky Yanson, who has been involved with grassroots development for years in Negros Occidental, emphasized that the objective of the Mindanao Cup, which will be a tournament for boys 11 years old and below, is to find promising players with the potential to represent the national squad in the future.
“Our goal is to develop young Filipino talents who can hopefully play for our national team in the future,’’ said Ricky Yanson, who partnered with DSRFA President Engr. Henry Sabate in staging the event.
“We already had four editions of the NOFA Cup. We noticed that only a few teams from Mindanao came over to join, so we’ve decided to organize a tournament that will cater to the young players in the region,’’ added the NOFA president.
While the NOFA Cup gathers select competitive teams from all over the Philippines, the Mindanao Cup brings together squads from the FAs within the region. Mr. Yanson emphasized during a recent meeting with the 17 Mindanao-based FAs that the chief objective is to discover and hone future national team players.
“This is a great opportunity for players in Mindanao to develop their skills and play against the best from the other provinces.”
The participating teams are the following:
- Agusan del Sur FA
- Bukidnon FA
- Central Butuan District 1 Football Team of Butuan-Agusan del Norte FA
- CdeO – Little Me Academy FC of Cagayan de Oro-Misamis Oriental FA
- Camp Kalaw Football Club of Golden Davao RFA
- DavNor RFA
- Davao Lola Mommy’s (White) and Davao Lola Mommy’s (Red) of Davao RFA
- Iligan City Football Academy of Iligan-Lanao del Norte-Lanao del Sur RFA
- MRFA Sultan Jolongs FC of Maguindanao RFA
- SOCSARGEN RFA of South Cotabato – Sarangani – General Santos RFA
- Team MARFA of Mount Apo RFA
- SWAT FC of Sultan Kudarat FA
- Surigao United of Surigao del Norte and Dinagat Islands RFA
- ZANDIFA – Dipolog of Zamboanga del Norte – Dipolog FA
- Sta. Lucia Jumbos of Zamboanga del Sur – Pagadian FA
The Mindanao Cup is part of Ricky Yanson’s continuing commitment to develop young Filipino football players and to demonstrate his belief in local talent.